Once upon a time, I found myself with three very ripe persimmons, and I knew that I needed to get them in my belly as quickly as possible. I felt that I needed to eat them immediately, but also that I wanted to savor them, and have some fun with them, so I began to look at recipes. All kinds of recipes.
Persimmon pie. Persimmon pudding. Persimmon bread.
I was looking for something that would really highlight the delicate flavor and that would capture the sweet aroma that was coming off of these round beauties. But nothing seemed quite right. Pie seemed to complex. Pudding would have been too cooked. Bread seemed too ordinary.
And that’s when I thought of it.
Why not make persimmon ICE CREAM?? Hello.
Only problem was, it was nearing 3 o’clock in the afternoon, and I had to go pick up my daughter at school in fifteen minutes. I would have to make it now, if I was going to make it. No time to look at a recipe! So I just began scooping and creating! Don’t you just love when that happens??!!
I scooped out the flesh of the persimmons and popped them in the blender. Then I added some coconut milk. And then, as fate would have it, there was some leftover pumpkin in the fridge, so I added that. Next, a little cinnamon.
At that point, I must have stuck my nose in the blender and fell into a sensory coma. The smell was intoxicating, and I knew I had hit the jackpot!
I knew I was onto something, and when I finally came to again, I added some ginger, a little salt, and some xanthan gum to hold it all together.
But that was not the end! I happened to remember my favorite essential oil, wild orange, right at that moment, and I immediately ran to get it! I knew it would take this whole thing over the top.
I splashed a drop into my “ice cream” mixture and sure enough! What happened next is the stuff that dreams are made of. I could have eaten a whole bowl of this by itself. But then I couldn’t have called it ice cream. And what good is that??
So I placed the mixture in my handy dandy ice cream freezer, hit the on button, and went to pick up my daughter.
When we came home, there was the most luscious, dreamy ice cream waiting for us.
And I kind of fell in love.
- 3 very ripe persimmons (the softer and juicier, the better!)
- 1 cup canned pumpkin
- 1 14 oz. can coconut milk (I like the Thai Kitchen brand)
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 1/4 cup coconut sugar
- 3/4 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp ground ginger
- 1/4 tsp freshly grated nutmeg
- Pinch ground cloves
- 1/2 tsp xanthan gum
- 1 drop wild orange essential oil (I use doTerra brand)
- 1 Tbsp coconut oil, melted
- Blend all ingredients in blender, except melted coconut oil, for about 40 seconds. While blender is still running, pour coconut oil in, and blend for another couple seconds. Pour into ice cream freezer, and follow manufacturer’s instructions. Ours took about 20 minutes to set up.
- Sprinkle with gingersnap cookies and raw sugar. Lick your spoon and enjoy!